Wednesday, April 29, 2009

No more pencils, no more books...

Just moments ago, I looked up at my printer and saw that this week's reading had printed out without me even hearing it. It was just there. I have to print tons of readings for my classes because I absolutely cannot remember things I read on a screen, so I've become totally immune to the sputtering, whirring noises of my HP Deskjet. I miss the days when teachers would distribute handouts in class already printed out, but I guess as long as someone is saving paper, it's a positive.

Here's a forum of educators discussing the shift toward online learning, in conjunction with the Apple Store: http://isenet.ning.com/forum/topics/the-end-of-the-textbook-as-we

It got me thinking--eventually everything we read will be online, or at least on some kind of electronic device like a Kindle. I already turn in many of my assignments online, and I know that the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, a recently-founded school that a friend of mine attends, has an entirely online library as they are working to acquire more physical buildings for this fledgling university.

Printer sounds will soon be foreign to students.

We were discussing how having the physical, tactile object of a book or packet of papers helps with information retention in class. I think this is definitely true for me, but I also know people who have no problem reading on the computer. It's also true that online textbooks and online assignments would save a lot of money.

I feel sad, though, for the future students who won't be interested in smelling old books.

1 comment:

Lea said...

I also love the smell of new books! I think that for our generation, who for the most part grew up with reading books, it may be harder to adapt to online reading. I know that for me at least, it hurts to my eyes to look at the screen for too long. For the next generation, I could see all the reading moving to the web... and why not save a few trees?

Post a Comment